So, a couple of nights ago, Josh let me (and by “let me” I mean that we always agree on unnecessary purchases, and he surprised my by agreeing to this one) get on Knit Picks and buy the needles and yarn for a new knitting project that I’ve been drooling over for quite a while now.
The long-desired project is called Springtime Bandit, available for free from Kelbourne Woolens.
Isn’t it awesome?? It’s only about a bajillion times more difficult than anything I’ve ever tried to make before, but I’m not scared. It’ll be a really fun challenge. Josh said that I could only make it if I wore my glasses with it. I think that’s a given, don’t you? I mean, she just looks so smart and cool in that picture with her glasses, scarf, and cardi.
I can’t wait! I will, of course, post pictures when I finish. Come on, did you even have to ask? 🙂
As soon as I saw team USA walk out during the opening ceremony of the 2010 winter Olympics, I exclaimed to my husband, “I want one of those hats!”
I started thinking, surely there is a pattern similar to it which I can find online and knit myself.
Well, apparently I wasn’t the only one wanting a hat like that, because I quickly found a pattern on Ravelry for the EXACT hat! Awesome!! Click here (membership required, but membership and the pattern are both free) for the pattern.
Now I just have to wait until I can get needles in the right sizes… and the yarn… and the time…
I am so so SO proud of these! I did, however, completely misjudge Jude’s size and they will not fit him correctly until *next* winter. Oh well. He will have cute monster booty pants to keep him warm during Moldova’s cold winter.
I came into a few great old wool sweaters recently that were unwearable because they had already been partially felted in the wash. So I set about to do something I’ve been wanting to try for a long time- I made some wool longies for Jude!
I also decided to make some warm wool slippers to match the first pair of woolies. I used the Stardust Shoes pattern that I linked to a long time ago. Man, they sure are warm with two layers of wool all over! I also used white puff paint to make them non-slip on the bottom.
I still have a lot of leftover wool… what else can I make? 😀
Filed under crafts, sewing
Who needs to smile this morning?? *raises hand*
Well here is all you need:
I made them, of course, using my beloved flowerpot tots pattern (but as always, I prefer to do an elastic waistband). You can see other shorties I’ve made using the flowerpot tots pattern here and here.
The green/brown color was achieved by double stranding two skeins of fingering weight yarn, a green skein and a brown skein… obviously. 😛 And anyone as obsessed with wool shorties/longies as I am will recognize the face as an obvious Crankypants knockoff, though I do take full credit for making the chart myself in microsoft excel. Actually, going back to the Crankypants website just now made me realize how much bigger my monster’s eyes are than those, and I like mine better!
And I know I’m a little late on this, since it is already halfway through December, but I currently have on my needles my first pair of wool longies for Jude… with a monster face booty, of course! These were actually sent to a friend for her son (I know, it killed me to part with them!), so Jude definitely needs a pair.
I have posted pictures of the other 2 wool soakers that I’ve knitted, but this is actually the very first one I ever knitted. I made this approximately 4 months ago, and I’m sure it would have fit him quite well then. Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to actually putting it on J until last week when I finally got some fitted diapers (for J to wear under it) in a swap. Oh well, we will keep it around for (Lord willing) future babes.
I used the free 1932 soaker pattern, and it was very simple except for having to pick up stitches to make the leg cuffs, which was frustrating enough to almost make this good little baptist girl cuss.
I (somewhat) recently finished a striped wool soaker made using the Ottobre pattern. I am not a big fan of the fit, it is too big and baggy around the hips. But maybe it is supposed to be bigger than should fit J right now… I dunno. The legs holes fit him well, but that could just be because I DESPISE having to pick up stitches to add that part, and I’m not very good at it. Maybe if I had made the legs and waist bigger (I did an elastic waist instead of drawstring)… Either way, I’ll probably never make this pattern again and stick with the flowerpot tots one, which I love.
Anyway… it is striped and cute and works great, so I am not complaining too much. Here is a picture of my little man hanging out in it: